Edward Black Daugherty
Edward Black Daugherty was born in New Sewickley Township, today known as Daugherty Township, Pennsylvania, on October 22, 1832.
He was the son of Daniel D. and Elizabeth Black Daugherty, a daughter of John and Mary Black. Mr. Daugherty was raised on his father’s farm with siblings Alice, Mary A. and Daniel M. Daugherty.
Mr. Daugherty received his early education in a rural one-room school before attending classes in Beaver, Pennsylvania, where he learned civil engineering and surveying. He taught school before his passion for surveying took him down that career path. His brother, Daniel M. Daugherty, who followed in his brother’s profession, was the Beaver County Surveyor in 1871.
At age 25, Mr. Daugherty decided to change his line of work. He met with his close friend Samuel Wilson of Beaver, who was a prominent and respected lawyer. Mr. Wilson saw great potential in Mr. Daugherty and offered him an apprenticeship at his law firm. After a few months of study, Mr. Daugherty’s passion for learning about the justice system re-affirmed Mr. Wilson’s decision to take on such a worthy apprentice.
On June 4, 1860 Mr. Daugherty was admitted to the Beaver County Bar Association. He partnered in the law office with Samuel B. Wilson while still living on his father’s farm in Pulaski Township.
In 1867 Mr. Daugherty purchased Lot 397 in New Brighton, Pennsylvania, from Ross B. Evans, and set up his first law office.
As his practice continued to flourish and his office space proved too small, Mr. Daugherty began to look for office space closer to the courthouse in Beaver, Pennsylvania.
On October 1, 1868, he purchased Lot number 59, bound on the north by Corporation Alley, east by Lot number 60, south by Second Street and west by Market Street in Beaver, Pennsylvania.
Mr. Daugherty moved his law practice from New Brighton to Beaver in 1869. His office was a one story wood structure facing Market Street. Located on the same lot was his eight-room house that faced Corporation Alley.
Beaver residents became familiar with Mr. Daugherty’s daily routine, which he rarely changed. He would leave the house at 6:30 a.m. and go to his office until he was needed in court. Then he would walk the two blocks to the courthouse, greeting all he met along the way.
On May 5, 1870, Mr. Daugherty and Miss Mary Cunningham, born November 14, 1841, in Allegheny City, Pennsylvania, exchanged wedding vows.
Their first child, a son, Samuel Wilson Daugherty was born on March 26, 1871. He was named after Mr. Daugherty’s closest friend and law partner, Samuel B. Wilson.
Samuel Daugherty was known as an intelligent, warm hearted, honorable young man, admired and loved by all with whom he came in contact. All his life he aspired to follow in his father’s footsteps and to someday become a partner in his father’s law office. He received his early education in Beaver. He was loved, and almost idolized by his parents, who saw in him a kind, thoughtful and compassionate young lad, full of potential to achieve a successful life.
Another joyful day in the Daugherty household was in July, 1876 when their union was blessed with a daughter they named Mary.
Her early education was at the Beaver Female Seminary. Later her education was secured with study and travel throughout Europe. She was a musician, artist, and linguist of note, and was known for her many graces of mind and manner. She graduated from Mt. de Chantal Seminary, at Wheeling, West Virginia.
Mary became the bride of Charles F. Green, of Baltimore, Maryland. They were wed in a quiet ceremony at the parochial residence of St. Paul’s Cathedral and made their residence in Baltimore.
Their union was blessed with the following children: Samuel E. Green, Mary Kathryn Green and Mary Nina Green.
Samuel E. Green accepted a position of clerk in the American Consulate at St. Michael’s, Azores, in August 1921. According to his passport records he was paid a salary of $1800.00 a year, had to stay in service for at least two years and he had to agree that he would not get married.
Samuel continued his work for the State Department for many years and traveling throughout the world.
In 1873, Mr. Daugherty was by honored by being the only Beaver County attorney listed in the Directory of the Merchants Law & Collection Association. The directory gives the name of one of the leading attorneys in nearly every county of the United States.
When the Beaver County Bar Association was formed on March 18, 1876, Mr. Daugherty and Mr. Wilson were two of the organizing members. Both attorneys left a lasting impression on all who walked through the association doors. Their knowledge of the Courts and the law was well known throughout the tri-state area.
Mr. Daugherty became one of the ablest lawyers at the county seat, and for many years occupied a position of prominence in the community, respected by all who knew him. No history of the Beaver County Bar Association would be complete without frequent mention of his name, his peculiar expressions, and the anecdotes told of him would fill volumes.
Mr. Daugherty was often asked to serve as a Board of Director in several organizations and institutions around the county. Many offers he declined due to his busy law practice schedule. But when the opportunity came to join his friend, John Reeves, as a Director of the National Bank of Beaver County, he looked forward to the challenge and accepted the nomination.
On Tuesday, January 10, 1882, Mr. Daugherty was elected as a Director of the National Bank of Beaver County at the annual meeting of the stockholders. He joined others elected including G.W. Hamilton, John Miner, G.S. Barker, John Reeves, R.E. Hoopes, M.T. Kennedy, Henry C. Fry and S. H. Darragh.
Mr. Daugherty was a staunch Democrat his entire life. At the Democratic County Convention held in Beaver on August 11, 1884, Mr. William Dunlap, of Bridgewater, took to the floor, and in a fifteen minute speech, in which he dwelled upon the ability, character and high legal standing of Edward Black Daugherty, Esq., placed Mr. Daugherty’s name before the convention for Judge, which was received with hearty applause. He then moved that the nomination be made unanimous, which was done by a rising vote.
When the convention work was over, the members of the convention band marched to the residence of Mr. Daugherty, on Corporation Alley, and played some fine music in front of his house. He came out and thankfully acknowledged the honor.
Mr. Daugherty was a devout and unfailing member of the Catholic Church. When he saw that the cemetery on land donated by his grandfather, Edward Daugherty, in then Pulaski Township, was going into disrepair and might be abandoned he went to Rt Rev. John Twigg, Bishop of the Diocese of Pittsburgh with an offer.
According to a deed recorded in Volume 106 pages 219-221 in the Record’s Office at the Beaver County Courthouse, Mr. Daugherty sold one acre of land to Rt Rev. Twigg of the Diocese of Pittsburgh for one dollar on June 22, 1886. With this sale the cemetery continued Catholic burials into the 1990s.
On March 31, 1888 The First National Bank of New Brighton, Pennsylvania, was established. The bank was located in the Anderson Block in downtown New Brighton. Mr. Daugherty was appointed president with the Honorable John M. Buchanan, vice president and Edward J. Allison, cashier.
It was on Saturday, June 23, 1888, Mr. Daugherty, accompanied by his wife, Mary, left for London, England, on bank business. When they arrived in port on July 13, 1888, they applied for emergency passports so they could travel freely throughout Europe.
After an enjoyable and successful trip, they boarded the passenger ship Etruria in Liverpool, England, on August 27, 1888, and sailed to Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, before returning to their home in Beaver.
It was on January 17, 1889 that Mr. Daugherty was told of the death of his closest friend and mentor, Samuel B. Wilson.
On the occasion of his funeral, Michael Weyand, Esq., one of the oldest and ablest editors of Western Pennsylvania, paid a touching tribute to the memory of the deceased in the columns of his paper, from which the following extract is taken:
“‘His death creates a void in this community, and throughout the county, not easily if ever filled. He will be greatly missed as a legal preceptor, missed in his office, in the courtroom, on the street, in meetings of public interest, and in the Masonic Order of which he had long been a conspicuous figure. Take him all in all, as citizen, neighbor, friend, honorable opponent, close student, learned in the law, powerful and successful before a jury, those of us who have been his companions, associates and acquaintances for a long series of years, will hardly ever look upon his like again.”
Mr. Daugherty was asked by Samuel’s widow to give the eulogy, an honor he quickly accepted. He talked about his mentor’s oratorical talents both on public and private occasions. He made it clear that Mr. Wilson never ranted or was loud but could get the point across in a calm thoughtful manner.
Mr. Daugherty acknowledged the deep sadness he felt over the loss of such a great teacher and friend. Mr. Wilson’ knowledge of the law was unprecedented and he was respected by all who knew him.
Mr. Wilson’s funeral service was held at the Presbyterian Church in Beaver.
Courthouse business was suspended so the court officials and their staff could attend the funeral in a body. Internment was in the Beaver Cemetery, Beaver, Pennsylvania.
It was a sunny, yet chilly, Wednesday morning, December 9, 1891, a day just like any other in the Daugherty household. Mr. Daugherty was preparing to court, Mrs. Daugherty was in the kitchen fixing breakfast, while son, Samuel, prepared to go to classes at Geneva College in Beaver Falls.
Little did they know that when they said goodbye and watched their beloved 20 year-old-son, Samuel leave the house, eyes bright, smiling and his voice echoing excited goodbyes throughout the house, that this now perfect day would end with shattered hearts and a sadness that would last to their deaths.
Samuel left his parents house and took the train from Beaver to Beaver Falls. As he was walking from the railroad station to Geneva College a horrible accident occurred.
Newspapers across the tri-state area carried the tragic news. The editors of the local Globe Star newspaper reported the following:
Samuel W. Daugherty was crossing the Marginal railroad, near the water works in Beaver Falls, at 10 o’clock this morning, when he was hit by a P. & L.E. freight train when some cars were making a running switch. He was violently thrown against a bank and then his body rolled under the wheels of the train. His right arm and leg were severely crushed. His bloody, mangled body was taken to the P. & L.E. Railroad station and a special train transported him to his parent’s home in Beaver.
Samuel’s composure after the accident was amazing, as he seemed to be thinking less of himself and more of those he loved. He knew when they put him on the train to Beaver that his pulse was failing and death stood nearby. Doctors tended to him for several hours before death fell over Samuel at 4 o’clock that afternoon.
Word spread quickly throughout the community and among his classmates of the horrific accident. Shocked friends acknowledged that it is apart of the eternal decree, that the old must die, but Samuel was so young, so full of spirit and just taking his first steps into manhood.
Funeral services were held on Thursday, December 10th at 4 o’clock in his parent’s home with the Rev. Father Joseph F. Bauer of Rochester.
On Friday morning around 8 o’clock, friends, family and classmates began gathering at the C. & P. Railroad Station in Beaver.
Owing to the desire of Judge Wickham and the members of the Beaver County Bar Association to attend the funeral services in Pittsburgh, Beaver County Court was adjourned for the day. The members of the bar attended in a body in support of the Daugherty family.
Pallbearers, chosen from Samuel’s large list of associates and dear friends, included Harry D. Anderson, Hurlburt Wickham, Frank Wilson, Joseph B. Ledlie, Fred Davidson and Frank Dawson.
While Samuel’s remains were being taken to the railroad station his freshman classmates followed behind the wagon to the depot.
At 8:52 o’clock, the funeral party left the C. & P. Railroad Station in special coaches to intern the remains in the St. Mary’s Cemetery, Pittsburgh. Samuel was buried next to his maternal grandmother with whom he shared a special bond.
According to records found by archival librarian Kae Kirkwood, Samuel was enrolled as a student in the Eclectic Department at Geneva College, Beaver Falls, Pennsylvania, in 1890. Samuel was on his way to being one of the graduating class of 1894, with a bright and promising future.
The December issue of The Geneva Cabinet told the details of the horrific accident. Samuels’ classmates wrote the following Resolutions of sympathy on his death that appeared on page ten in the same issue:
OF SYMPATHY ON THE DEATH OF MR. S. W. DAUGHERTY
WHEREAS, It has pleased God in his Providence to call from our midst our fellow student; and
WHEREAS, Such unexpected events are ever shrouded in mystery and freighted with sorrow, and must awake the sympathies of all. Be it
Resolved, First, that in the death of Mr. Daugherty we loose [sic] a school-mate for whom great success was awaiting, had he been spared to enjoy the full course of instruction and association that would have become with the work he had begun.
Second, That in him we lose one whose kindly nature had endeared to all those with whom he was intimately acquainted, and who thus had opportunity of knowing the merits of his character.
Third, That as students of this college we realize that this call has a meaning for each one of us, showing the shortness and uncertainty [sic] of life, and the need of living conscientiously and honestly, if we would be prepared to meet a similar call when such shall come to us.
Fourth, That we would commend the bereaved parents and sisters, in the midst of their sorrows, to Him who doeth all things well, who alone can mitigate the grief and teach to read aright the hidden mercies of his Providence.
A poem written by Mrs. Daugherty, that appeared in the local newspaper a week after her son’s death, details a mother’s anguish over losing a child and how her faith comforted her at a time of such sorrow and grief.
History records many of Attorney Daugherty’s cases. One of his more prominent battles in the courtroom was when he was defense attorney in the case Commonwealth v. Mellon & Porter in 1891.
An indictment for libel, under the twenty-fourth section of the criminal code of 1860, was found on December 8, 1891, against John A. Mellon and William H. Porter, editors and publishers of The Daily Star, of Beaver, Pennsylvania.
The indictment set forth the publication, by defendants, in the issue of their newspaper on Wednesday, October 28, 1891, of matter, alleged to be libelous, accusing the prosecutor, Matthew S. Quay, of sharing in the embezzlement of public funds by John Bardsley.
As Judge Wickham presided over the trial, the proceedings were enlivened by an exciting, yet wordy, scrimmage between the opposing counsel, during which the lie was freely passed.
Attorney Daugherty in his opening speech to the jury attack the prosecution for its alleged partisanship, and he charged that the prosecution had packed the jury with Republicans by standing outside every man “tainted with Democracy.” He denounced as liar any man who dared to assert that such a method had ever been followed in the Beaver County court in the selection of a jury.
“What have we here in this case? We have a United States senator coming into court against a little newspaper. Why was this course taken? Why was John W. Smith made to take the stand? Why was every man of his kind made to take the stand? Why was John Breckinridge, a prohibitionist, treated in the same manner? It is not your fault, gentlemen of the jury that these things were done. I do not blame you, nor do I wish to reflect on you in any way. It is my duty to say these things, but it is a painful duty to me. No one owns me. I’m a freeborn American citizen. I say it were ten times better for Senator Quay to go out of this courtroom with the costs of the case on his back than to come here and pack a jury.”
He continued to argue, “that the articles in The Star were fit for publication because the name of Senator Quay was connected with those of Bardsley on the deposit. The city of Philadelphia and the state of Pennsylvania had been robbed of $1,500.00 and the press of the country had a right to take up everything in connection with that gigantic steal.
I would rather be John A. Mellon or William H. Porter, exclaimed Attorney Daugherty, turning to Senator Quay, “than a senator of the United States with a brand on me as indelible as that on Cain.”
Mr. Buchanan, who represented the Commonwealth, resented this by denouncing Mr. Daugherty as a liar. Things grew very heated at this point. The atmosphere in the courtroom was intense as the angry lawyers faced each other, hurling the lie back and forth.
Judge Wickham rapped his gavel several times and called an immediate halt on any further resort to personalities.
The defense opened the testimony by calling Taylor Faurce to the stand. Mr. Faurce is one of the experts who examined the books and accounts of the Keystone Bank. He testified to this fact and said the amount of John Bardsley embezzlement was about $1,500.00, who defaulted on November 28, 1890. He added the certificate of deposit was the only matter he found connecting Senator Quay’s name with the bank.
John A. Mellon, one of the defendants, was the next witness. He testified that the electrotype of the certificate of deposit came to his paper from Chairman Kerr with a slip of printed matter. A letter accompanying them requested their immediate publication, as the matter was of the utmost importance. The Star received it just before going to press in the afternoon, and they had no time to investigate it.
On cross-examination he pointed out to the jury that part of the article printed in The Star was received from Chairman Kerr.
The other defendant, W.H. Porter, testified to about the same facts as his partner. He had no knowledge of any of the objectionable articles printed in The Star.
Attorney Daugherty called Mr. Faurce to the stand and asked, “Where is John Bardsley now?” to which Mr. Faurce replied, “In the eastern penitentiary.” When asked by Attorney Daugherty how he knew his whereabouts, Mr. Faurce testified he had seen him there last week. After finishing with this witness, the defense rested here.
Mr. Thompson made a strong plea for the prosecution. He went over the testimony relating to the certificate of deposit transaction and explained the law of libel, saying that a privileged publication calls for three things: “It must be based on a proper occasion, a proper motive and a reasonable and probable cause, neither of which, he held, existed in this case, and therefore asked for a conviction.” The prosecution rested its case.
As Attorney Daugherty made his closing arguments he once again returned to the partisan and jury-packing charge, making a fierce onslaught on Senator Quay.
Mr. Thompson in his closing statements called the defense accusations outrageous before summing up his case.
Judge Wickham then addressed the jury before they taken to the jury room for deliberations. When the jury returned to court they had a sealed verdict.
It was handed to Judge Wickham, who tore open the envelope, glanced at its contents and handed it to the clerk of the court, who read aloud, “GUILTY as charged in the indictment.”
Sentencing was set for a later date. The maximum penalty is $1,000.00 fine or twelve months’ imprisonment, or both. There was no minimum fixed, so the sentence could be as low as one hour’s imprisonment. There is still a suit for $10,000.00 damages brought by Senator Quay, pending against The Star.
After the proceedings Attorney Daugherty walked over to the prosecution’s table shook hands with Mr. Thompson and congratulated him on the win.
This was the first time Attorney Daugherty lost a defense case in his 31 years of practice.
At the sentencing hearing, held two weeks later, Judge Wickham chastised the defendants for not printing one word of explanation, retraction or apology in their newspaper since their conviction. He continued, “To make the sentence unduly light would be to turn the proceedings, held in this Court, into a mockery, and to judicially condemn and abrogate the law itself. For your sakes, and, indeed, for my own, I am pained that you have left the Court without the shadow of a pretext for being largely merciful. In conclusion it is the sentence of this Court that you pay the costs of prosecution, a fine of $1,000.00 each and both will be imprisoned in the county jail for six months.” He rapped his gavel and court was adjourned.
On March 12, 1894, Attorney Daugherty argued and won an appeal before the Supreme Court of Pennsylvania in the case of Shillito vs Shillito.
The case involved two sons, executors to their father’s will, who accepted land devised to them in the will laying on them the duty of supporting their sisters as long as they lived unmarried with his widow. Together the brothers were bound for the faithful performance of this duty, and jointly were accountable for any breach of it to the either party.
Attorney Daugherty had argued before the Supreme Court of Pennsylvania over 100 times in the course of his career and was admired and respected by both sides of the aisle.
Death of Edward Black Daugherty
“One of the Most Prominent Figures of the Beaver County Bar Summoned to a Higher Court”
That was the headline in the News Tribune on April 1, 1896 that announced the sudden death of Mr. Daugherty, the well-known 65 years old attorney.
The community was shocked by the announcement that Mr. Daugherty had died suddenly at his home on Sunday morning, March 31, 1896, shortly after six o’clock.
Less than a week before, Mr. Daugherty complained of feeling ill and Dr. Wilson was summoned.
He diagnosed a mild case of pneumonia, but had no thoughts of fatal results. While Mr. Daugherty remained in the house he was not confined to bed.
Mrs. Daugherty was up early on Sunday morning and when Mr. Daugherty came downstairs, and was going into the kitchen, where his wife was, he insisted on opening the outside door, saying he wanted air.
Mrs. Daugherty persuaded him to go into the dining room and lie down on the couch, while she went to phone Dr. Wilson. Although the doctor arrived promptly, Mr. Daugherty was dead before he arrived having expired a few minutes after lying down.
Mr. Daugherty’s funeral was held at 7:30 the morning of April 1, 1896, at the Sts. Peter and Paul Catholic Church in Beaver, and was conducted by Fathers Gerald and Bauer. His remains, accompanied by his wife, daughter, and several friends, and law associates left Beaver on the C. & P. train at 8:44 a.m. He was buried next to his beloved son in St. Mary’s Cemetery in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.
Mr. Daugherty was known for being one of the best lawyers in the county during his tenure of over 35 years. He was loved and respected by all who had the pleasure of knowing him. Although a man of a large practice and wealth, he was very eccentric, both in manner and dress, and was a notable figure everywhere he went.
The Daugherty house on Corporation Alley in Beaver was sold to Richard R. Hice on June 4, 1912, according to a deed recorded in the Recorder of Deeds office at the Beaver County Courthouse in Volume 232 page 326. Mrs. Daugherty moved to Baltimore, Maryland, to live with her daughter and son-in-law, Charles and Mary Green, and her three grandchildren. Mrs. Daugherty returned to Beaver often to visit with friends and family.
Mrs. Daugherty died in Beaver on a trip back to visit with family friends. A few hours before her death, Mrs. Daugherty’s lifelong friend of 60 years, Mrs. Samuel B. Wilson, widow of Attorney Samuel B. Wilson, passed away. Following are their obituaries from page one of The Daily Times, Beaver, Pennsylvania, published on October 2, 1920.
LIFELONG FRIENDS DIE ON SAME DAY
MRS. DAUGHERTY ANSWERS DEATH SUMMONS TODAY
Widow of Late Attorney Edward B. Daugherty
Funeral on Thursday, Burial to Follow
Church Service in Daugherty Cemetery
Mrs. Mary Daugherty, 81 years old, widow of the late Edward B. Daugherty, noted Beaver attorney, died at 8:45 this morning in Providence Hospital, Beaver Falls, death was due to pneumonia.
Mrs. Daugherty, who had made her home with her daughter, Mrs. Mary Green, in Baltimore, for several years past, was taken suddenly ill at the Beaver Hotel, Beaver, a week ago last Sunday. She made an annual trip to Beaver each year since breaking up her home, which is now owned by R.R. Hice in Irvine Square.
An unusual coincidence exists in the deaths of Mrs. Daugherty and Mrs. Elizabeth Wilson, of Beaver, who preceded her to the great beyond only a few hours. They had been cherished friends for more than 60 years. Their husbands were law partners. Mrs. Wilson took sick last Tuesday.
Mrs. Daugherty before her marriage was Miss Mary Cunningham, a member of a prominent Northside, Pittsburgh, family. She had resided in Beaver since her marriage and leaves a wide circle of friends.
Mrs. Daugherty was a member of SS Peter and Paul R.C. church of Beaver. A daughter, Mrs. C.F. Green of Baltimore, Md., and three grandchildren survive.
The funeral services will be held on Thursday morning at 9:30 o’clock from the home of her niece, Mrs. Alice Dick, 819 Tenth Avenue, New Brighton, with requiem high mass at SS Peter and Paul church, Beaver. Burial will be in the Daugherty Cemetery. Friends are asked to omit flowers.
MRS. WILSON IS CLAIMED BY DEATH TODAY
Brief Illness Followed by Demise of Prominent Member Beaver Church
Mrs. Elizabeth Wilson, widow of the late Attorney Sam B. Wilson and member of one of the oldest and best known families of Beaver County, died this morning at 12:30 o’clock at her home, 752 Quay Square in Beaver, where she had lived the greater part of her life. She had been ill only a week, having suffered an attack of heart trouble last Tuesday and having been confined to her bed since. She was 87 years old.
Born June 12, 1833 in Enon Valley, she was the daughter of Mr. And Mrs. George Robinson.
When she was a girl the family moved to Beaver, and in the fall of 1850 her father was elected sheriff of Beaver County. He served one term, during which time his daughter, the late Mrs. Wilson proved a capable assistant in his office.
She was married to Sam B. Wilson on April 12,1869, and took up her abode with her husband in the fine brick residence in Quay Square in which she died. During the active career of her husband, who was one of the most prominent members of the Beaver County bar, she proved a gifted helpmate and often aided in the preparation of legal papers, so that to this day they remain as models.
Mrs. Wilson is survived by one daughter and one son. They are: Mrs. George Davidson, of Westview, Beaver, and Attorney George M. Wilson, a member of the Beaver County bar. She is also survived by nine grandchildren, of whom one is Attorney Sam B. Wilson, namesake of her late husband, and third of the same generation, and by six great grandchildren.
Mrs. Wilson was one of the oldest members of the First Presbyterian Church of Beaver. She was a woman of wonderful vitality and of keen mentality even until the hour of her demise and she was able to continue her active interest in matters of daily concern in her life, the life of the community and of the nation. In this she was unusual.
Arrangements have been made to hold the funeral Thursday afternoon at 2:30 o’clock at the late home, Rev. Dr. A.J. Alexander, pastor of the First Presbyterian Church of Beaver, is in charge. Burial will follow in Beaver Cemetery.